Irish Harp Tutor Adult Beginners
This book is the introductory Tutor for Adult Beginners to Irish harping
Taking 'grown-ups' on the great adventure of music making where they will learn the complete basics of melody and chord playing with tried and tested tunes and exercises (including the 'Chimes' and 'Chordscapes') that have provided a strong foundation for my many harp students through the years.
This Adult's course comprises 30 tunes that progresses gently from a very first lesson to a good level of competency. It works with the familiar - featuring many favourite pieces not all of which are Irish! Some American folk tunes, classical favorites and spiritual pieces are included - such as 'Seothín Seó' - the Irish version of Brahm's Lullaby which was the very first piece I learned with my teacher Máirín Ferriter at Sion Hill School in Dublin in the mid 1960s!
This course is recommended to anybody with any or no musical background to enjoy as a first venture into harping with the expectation of continuing on with the Traditional Irish Tutors, Levels 1 - 4.
- Introducing the harp and its parts
- Introducing the Musical House (to aid understanding of sound, octaves and notes)
- Introducing the strings, notes and their names
- Introducing beautiful sounds and sequences on Pachelbel's Canon
- Starting melody playing with 'The Book of Chimes'
- Starting chord playing with 'The Chord of C' Song'
- One-chord songs: Freres Jacques / Brother Jack / Bráther Séamus' and 'Row, Row, Row your Boat';
- Two-chord songs: 'The Big Ship Sails', 'Óró Sé Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile' and 'The Drunken Sailor'
- Three-chord songs: 'My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean' and 'My Darling Clementine'
- More exercises for developing finger skills from 'The Book of Chimes', 'Chordscapes' and 'The Thumb Parade'
First tunes including:
'The A-B-C Song', Brian Boru’s March, Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms, The Mountains of Mourne, Little Brigid Flynn, Joyful Joyful (Ode to Joy), Joy to the World, Miss Goulding, Lady Gethin, The Harp That Once Through Tara’s Halls, Oh Breath Not His Name, A Lovely Lass To a Friar Came, My Lady Greensleeves, Seothín Seó (Brahms Lullaby), Raglan Road / The Dawning of the Day, Mickey Seán’s Slide, The Rakes of Mallow